Sunday, August 14, 2011

Does a verbal agreement with a roommate stand up in court?

I've been living with my rmmate for 4 mos. I'm currently on the lease. However, the other day we had a "house mting" to discuss things that aren't being done and it didn't turn out well. I was in the process of saying that the living situation was not working out and that I wanted to find someone to sublet, when before I could finish my roommate told me I could leave whenever I wanted and that he would let me out of the lease when I paid for the bills and rent the next month, he also asked for 30 days notice. I took this as my opportunity to get out of the situation and said ok. I went out the same day and was approved for another apartment. After doing so, I came in and gave him the 30 days that he had asked for, and asked again about letting me out of the lease- he said yes. I am now curious that if he renegs on what he said I may be in a world of trouble. I have a witness, and I doented the incident. Would a verbal agreement stand up in court if he tries to sue me?

No comments:

Post a Comment